Try Kabuki Music! ~Play instruments and enjoy professional performances~
Did you know Kabuki music was like rock or pop music to people back in the old days?
Well, not just in the past, many Japanese now think it still rocks!
This program introduces to you the world of Nagauta, a musical genre of Kabuki theatre which is melodious, dramatic and often rhythmic. Guided by young professional artists, you can experience the traditional instruments --Shamisen and Kotsuzumi--, learn a phrase to play with the professionals, and watch their stunning performances. After the session, let's make a toast with Sake (Japanese rice wine)!
In this program, you can;
- Experience multiple instruments (Shamisen, Kotsuzumi, and other drums)
- Play in ensemble with the artists (a rare chance!)
- Watch stunning professional performances
- Have 1 Drink of Sake (the Japanese rice wine), green tea, or other non-alcoholic beverages
- Chat with artists over drinks after the session
- Experience Yukata (casual Kimono) with additional fee
- Take home the memory and souvenir of artists’ calligraphic signatures
[Date] Mar. 11 (Sat) 2017
[Time] 2 sessions available at
- AM) 10：30～12：30
- PM) 18：00～20：00
- Regular fee 6000 yen*
- Fee with Yukata experience 8000 yen**
*Fee includes: instrumental experience, texts, professional performance, 1 drink of Sake, green tea or non-alcoholic beverages, souvenir.
**Fee includes: the above and on-site rental of Yukata
Reservations cancelled will incur 100% of the program charge.
- Group Lesson of about 20 persons
- English-Japanese Translation
- Chairs available
- After booking, you will receive an email for confirmation, which may suggest you to download an app for ticketing. If you do not wish, it's unnecessary to do so. You can be checked in at the event site by telling us your name for booking.
- The event will be photographed and filmed, and the pictures and movies many be used in various media for promotion purposes.
*Image of Nagauta performance (photo by Kinekatsu-kai)
Young leading artists who regularly perform at Kabukiza Theatre and the National Theatre.
Kineya Katsujuro (Shamisen), Tosha Suiho (Flute), and more.
Want to know what Nagauta (Kabuki Music) is like?
Check out these movie clips!
In this site, you can watch an amazing performance of Nagauta.
Click here to watch the movie clip.
2) PPAP parody by the National Theatre!!
You may know the world-famous performance by a Japanese comedian, PPAP. Well, here is the National Theatre version. It's done in a Nagauta fashion! The flutist in this movie is our program artist, Mr. Tosha Suiho.
Want to know about the instruments?
Click here to see the flyer.
Organized by: Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan / GEIDANKYO (Japan Council of Performers Rights & Performing Arts Organizations)
In cooperation with: Shinjuku Conventions and Visitors Bureau / Naruko Tenjinsha Shrine / ITO EN, LTD.
The venue is close to the Shinjuku skyscraper and 7 minutes away on foot from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, where you can enjoy a full view of Tokyo from 202 meters above the ground for free! (9:30 a.m. - 11:00 p.m)
- The event description was updated. Diff 2017-02-07 11:54:19
10:30 AM - 8:00 PM JST
10:30-12:30 SOLD OUT ¥6,000 10:30-12:30 with Yukata SOLD OUT ¥8,000 18:00-20:00 SOLD OUT ¥6,000 18:00-20:00 with Yukata SOLD OUT ¥8,000
- Venue Address
- 6-12-30 Nishi-shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo Japan
6 mins. on foot from Nishi-shinjuku Sta. on Marunouchi Line